SOLVED

Incorrect row height after sort

Copper Contributor

Hello!  When I do a sort in an Excel workbook, it does not readjust the row height, so that the rows are either small, in which case I can't see all of the text, or too large, in which case there is empty space in the row.  Anyone have the answer?

I'm on Windows 11.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Scottisimo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Scottisimo 

If the row heights in your Excel workbook are not adjusting correctly after sorting, you can try manually adjusting the row heights to fit the contents of the cells.

Here’s how:

1. Select the rows that you want to adjust. You can do this by clicking and dragging over the row headers (the numbered boxes to the left of the rows).
  2. Right-click on one of the selected row headers and choose “Row Height” from the context menu.
  3. In the “Row Height” dialog box, enter a value for the row height or leave it blank to use the default height. Click “OK” to apply the new row height.

Alternatively, you can use the “AutoFit Row Height” feature to automatically adjust the row heights based on the contents of the cells.

Here’s how:

1. Select the rows that you want to adjust.
  2. On the “Home” tab of the ribbon, click on “Format” in the “Cells” group.
  3. From the “Format” drop-down menu, choose “AutoFit Row Height”. This will automatically adjust the row heights to fit the contents of the cells.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!

Here is a link with information on how you can get a quick and precise solution proposal.

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

@NikolinoDE 

Nikolino,  thank you!!  The second solution worked perfectly!

I'm glad that I could help you a little bit.
I wish you continued success with Excel!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Scottisimo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Scottisimo 

If the row heights in your Excel workbook are not adjusting correctly after sorting, you can try manually adjusting the row heights to fit the contents of the cells.

Here’s how:

1. Select the rows that you want to adjust. You can do this by clicking and dragging over the row headers (the numbered boxes to the left of the rows).
  2. Right-click on one of the selected row headers and choose “Row Height” from the context menu.
  3. In the “Row Height” dialog box, enter a value for the row height or leave it blank to use the default height. Click “OK” to apply the new row height.

Alternatively, you can use the “AutoFit Row Height” feature to automatically adjust the row heights based on the contents of the cells.

Here’s how:

1. Select the rows that you want to adjust.
  2. On the “Home” tab of the ribbon, click on “Format” in the “Cells” group.
  3. From the “Format” drop-down menu, choose “AutoFit Row Height”. This will automatically adjust the row heights to fit the contents of the cells.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!

Here is a link with information on how you can get a quick and precise solution proposal.

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

View solution in original post