SOLVED

Including a note on top of every page - not a header

Copper Contributor

I am doing an Excel spreadsheet for a legal matter and need to include a note on the top of each page indicating it is confidential and subject to attorney/client privilege. It is a working spreadsheet not meant to be printed so I cannot use the Header feature -- I need it to appear on the top of every sheet in my workbook. How can I do this and still be able to format the cells/columns for the remainder of the workbook? I tried inserting the text in Row1 and merged the cells but then I won't be able to manipulate the columns. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

6 Replies

@Claudia534 

Never merge the cells. Type your note in first cell, select range in first row, Ctrl+1 and Center across selection

image.png

With some formatting the result is

image.png

and you and you may work with your columns separately.

best response confirmed by Claudia534 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Sergei, THANK YOU!  I knew it was probably something very basic -- I appreciate your assistance!  

You are welcome

@Sergei Baklan update:  it worked like a charm!  Thanks again!

What a great reply, all these years of hassles with merged cells, never too old to learn!!!!!

Thank you
Rich

@Claudia534 

Just a further thought.  Since your confidentiality statement is to be the same on every sheet it might be best to insert every heading at the same time by selecting the sheet tabs with shift and the left mouse button before following Sergei's instructions (don't forget to select just one sheet before you return to working on it though). 

Also, since we are discussion 'centering' for the confidentiality statement it suggests you are not using column XFD.  The visual effect of a page can be created by selecting all columns to the right of the 'page' (Ctrl+Shift+RightArrow) and hiding them.  Removing the grid from white space is another device to make a spreadsheet look more like a proper document.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Claudia534 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Sergei, THANK YOU!  I knew it was probably something very basic -- I appreciate your assistance!  

View solution in original post