Importing XML into Excel on Mac

Copper Contributor

Hi

I'm trying to manage a database more efficiently but when i tried to follow the tutorials, i dont have the import xml option in both data ribbon and developer ribbon
and when i say import i meant organized table of data entries and not just the copy pasted code from xml
(learning to export xml is also appreciated) thanks ahead

9 Replies

@Iris_Huang0129 

Import XML data

If you previously created an XML Map, you can use it to import XML data into cells that are mapped, but there also are several methods and commands for importing XML data without an XML Map.

If you have an XML Map, do this to import XML data into mapped cells:

1. In the XML Map, select one of the mapped cells.

2. Click Developer > Import.

If you don't see the Developer tab, see Show the Developer tab.

3. In the Import XML dialog box, locate and select the XML data file (.xml) you want to import, and click Import.

more info on...Import XML data

Hope I was able to help you with this info.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

@Iris_Huang0129 From the MS support site:

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 12.04.38.png

Doesn't seem to exist for Excel for Mac.

i'm stuck on step #2 like i can open developer ribbon but import is not on the list

@Iris_Huang0129 

Use the Developer tab to create or delete a macro in Excel for Mac

• If the Developer tab is not available, do the following to display it:

1. Select Excel > Preferences > Ribbon & Toolbar.

2. Under Customize the Ribbon, select Main Tabs and then check Developer.

3. Click Save and then close Excel Preferences.

my developer tab is available but the import button in developer tab is not

@Iris_Huang0129 That's because the XML options are NOT available on Excel for Mac!

@Iris_Huang0129 

I actually went through Microsoft's documents step by step to help you.
But as far as I can read, Mr. Riny_van_Eekelen has informs that this option is not available in Mac.
It is strange that Microsoft gives this possibility, but I trust Mr. Riny_van_Eekelen expertise and knowledge.

Sorry if I have not given you correct information.

Thank you for your understanding and your time.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Hello,
A simple xml file from the standard Adobe software for Mac, opens up nicely in tables with the correct headings etc, but only if you option click open with Excel. If you try to import it any other way, the delimiter options are meagre/faulty, the preview box never even gets near to how it appears ones opened as mentioned above. So the wizard is not as wise as the internal wisdom of Excel when asked to open an xml file. More sophisticated banking xml files, however, it cannot handle. You get the whole file as one data record when you try to "open with Excel", unlike the simpler Adobe xml file. And trying the wizard is a total disaster. Everything gets mashed up to a very unattractive data meal. There is no way for the user to know what parameters the "open with" used, probably a delimiter existing of more than one character, something the user can not choose in the import settings.