SOLVED

Importing With Criteria

Copper Contributor

I have a spreadsheet with one sheet as a budget ("March") and another as an import from my monthly banking account ("Bank Activity").  I would like certain items in the budget ("March") sheet to be autofilled from the Bank Activity sheet.  For example, I would like cell D5 in the March sheet to import the amount in column D of the Bank Activity sheet that corresponds with the row in Column C that contains "WF HOME MTG."  That way, every month when I import my bank info, the spreadsheet will find the mortgage payment amount by searching the descriptions in the Bank Activity sheet and autofill it into my monthly budget sheet.

I would attach an example spreadsheet, but I don't have an attachment option in the message features.

Running Windows 10.

5 Replies

@Hunter630

Drag and drop here or browse files to attach
Maximum size: 71 MB • Maximum attachments allowed: 5

With your permission, I recommend, to describe (based on the file you will insert) your plan step by step,

* Knowing the Excel version and operating system version would also be an advantage.

Don't forget that not every Excel user has a clue about every job and what you see, he can't see :).

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE 

I have Excel version 2108.  I would like to download my bank account transactions in csv file.  I would pull that csv file into the spreadsheet as a separate sheet.  I would like my budget sheet to then search for specific items in the transactions sheet based on the descriptions column and import the corresponding amounts into the proper cell in the budget sheet.

Unfortunately, I can't help you further because my knowledge in this area is limited.
I wish you continued success with Excel.
best response confirmed by Hunter630 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Hunter630 

Apart from WF HOME MTG and RENT THE RUNWAY, I don't see how the descriptions on the Bank Activity sheet match the categories on the March sheet, but perhaps you can complete the attached version.

This is exactly what I needed. I will fill out the rest. Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hunter630 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Hunter630 

Apart from WF HOME MTG and RENT THE RUNWAY, I don't see how the descriptions on the Bank Activity sheet match the categories on the March sheet, but perhaps you can complete the attached version.

View solution in original post