Importing Text/CSV data into current worksheet

Copper Contributor

Hello,

When choosing Data > From Text/CSV, after choosing an CSV file that I'd like to merge into the worksheet I'm currently selected in the preview window comes up and I have the option to choose 'Open' or can change to 'Open to'.

Problem is, when choosing 'Open' it always opens a new worksheet and imports the data into that, rather than importing to the current worksheet that is selected. This doesn't seem like the correct behaviour according to the support page for this function:

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/import-or-export-text-txt-or-csv-files-5250ac4c-663c-47ce-9....

"Select Load if you want to load the data directly to the current worksheet."

This above statement doesn't seem to be the case. By choosing 'open to' you can then select a existing worksheet although these are extra steps that don't follow the support page instructions.

3 Replies

@kylewatson 

IMHO, that is correct behavior which allows to prevent unintentional inserting of the imported data within already existing one in the current sheet.

From my point of view support page is not quite correct.

@Smitty Smith , what do you think?

@Sergei Baklan You're correct. Load will send the data to a new worksheet. I've updated the support topic to reflect that:

Select Load if you want to load the data directly to a new worksheet.

Thanks!