Import data from the web in Excel Online

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I would like to import data in Excel Online just like I can do it on Excel on desktop : data > from the web > url. It works fine in Excel, but then I tried to open it in Online version and I get a error message "actualisation of external data fails".

We are using a lot of these importations in G-sheet with the formula "IMPORTDATA" and would like to migrate these G-sheets to Excel Online.

Many thanks for you help,
Robin

3 Replies
The Online version of Excel is limited - think of it as a stripped-down version of Excel -You are unlikely to get this to work with using the Online version.

@robin12 

I feel I'm the opposite. After having extensively used Google apps, I'm now at a small business using Office 365. They upload documents to Sharepoint so the obvious thought to collate is to use Excel online with something similar to "IMPORTDATA" and this is just another thing I've discovered Excel online doesn't provide.

Wonder if they would be interested in changing to Google Apps for Business. Haha.

You can also think of Microsoft Office products as a shi-tty version of Google Office products. I second Tom88's suggestion: try another platform... :)