Import a CSV File and Pivot tables

Copper Contributor

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 8.17.03 PM.pngHi, I have to do this assignment that is due October 25 at 12pm PST but I have been really struggling because I dont know how to  import the file they gave me into a csv.file let alone create a pivot table or a "stab" someone please help me!!

3 Replies

@gabriellerocha 

Just open the ".csv" file with Excel. CSV stands for "comma separated values". The file probably contains plain text (words, numbers, time periods etc.) separated by commas. When you open it in Excel, it will automatically create columns of data that you are asked to examine. And I guess that he references to "stabb" and "styear" are some of the column headers. Once "imported", save the file as a regular .xlsx file and continue with your assignment.

Do exactly what the instruction says on how to create a Pivot Table. Once you have come to the "Create Pivot Table" dialogue box, it's all quite intuitive. Read everything carefully, press OK and see what happens. If it goes wrong, start all over again until you got it right.

Good luck!

@Riny_van_Eekelen  okay I know what you mean but the thing is there are two parts to it and I dont know if I put it together in one or separate. I am really confused on what to do in general. I have absolutely no experience with excel.

Do you think you could help me?

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 11.04.19 AM.png

@gabriellerocha 

I'm not a historian and have no clue about what you are supposed to analyse. I can't make the table(s) for you. But, you managed to "import" the data into Excel. Creating the Pivot Table is no more than following the instructions in your assignment paper. Just select a cell anywhere inside the data and press DATA (in the menu at the top) and then "Summarise with Pivot Table" and see what happens. Follow the instructions a try. Don't be scared to do wrong. If you do, discard and start from the beginning. You'll figure it out.

PS: Don't really understand that you are asked to do this without having been told about the basics of pivot tables in Excel. Good Luck!