SOLVED

Imperial measurements

Copper Contributor

How can I convert data with imperial measurements such as 61'-8" into usable values that can be added together etc.?

4 Replies
Excel has buit in command,, CONVERT the Cell value from one to another measurement,, or better share some expected output since you have mixed units like Square fit,, and Feet & Inches ,, are you looking to convert all cell values into one unit,,, if yes the is what ,,, Square feet or Feet or in Inches !!
best response confirmed by John_JohnsonJohnJohn (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@John_JohnsonJohnJohn The comment column would need to be cleaned-up, the unit of measurement extracted and broken down to number values. You can do that with a number ofhelper columns with, for example, IF and SUBSTITUTE functions. Personally, I'd prefer a solution using PowerQuery though. Both are provided in the attached file. With PowerQuery, you would normally connect to the csv file. In this case, I loaded the csv data into Excel and used PowerQuery from there.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Yes!  great, thanks, this is what I needed.  Now I have the ft-in data converted into LF (with decimals) and can add up all the same Wall Types sections, etc.  The #'-#" was output from another program I used for takeoff and now I can use it other spreadsheets.

@John_JohnsonJohnJohn Glad I could help resolve your problem.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John_JohnsonJohnJohn (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@John_JohnsonJohnJohn The comment column would need to be cleaned-up, the unit of measurement extracted and broken down to number values. You can do that with a number ofhelper columns with, for example, IF and SUBSTITUTE functions. Personally, I'd prefer a solution using PowerQuery though. Both are provided in the attached file. With PowerQuery, you would normally connect to the csv file. In this case, I loaded the csv data into Excel and used PowerQuery from there.

View solution in original post