SOLVED

IFS() function not available despite using the latest Excel version and subscribing to Microsoft 365

Copper Contributor

I cannot use the IFS() function in Excel, eg. in a cell formula. When opening xlsx files containing such a formula, it gets turned into "_xlfn.IFS" as soon as Excel wants to update the sheet's calculations.

The Help suggests that I need a MS 365 subscription and the latest Excel version.

So I've just purchased a MS 365 subscription, allowed AutoUpdate to install the latest version (which is: Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.43) and logged into my account with Excel. The About box says: License: Microsoft 365 Subscription. Belongs to: (myaccount-email)

So, everything should be in order, it seems.

Yet, IFS() is not recognized, showing "#NAME?" in the cell instead.

The same xlsx file works fine on a collegue's Mac, so it's not the Excel file, it's something with my setup.

I am running on macOS 10.13.6, in case that matters.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by tempelorg (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Nevermind - the issue resolved itself magically, suddenly.

I had of course restarted Excel and that did not help. Now, about an hour later, I relaunch Excel again, and it AGAIN asks me about some privacy confirmations that I had already confirmed after installing the program earlier. And this time, the IFS function works.

Terrible user experience.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by tempelorg (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Nevermind - the issue resolved itself magically, suddenly.

I had of course restarted Excel and that did not help. Now, about an hour later, I relaunch Excel again, and it AGAIN asks me about some privacy confirmations that I had already confirmed after installing the program earlier. And this time, the IFS function works.

Terrible user experience.

View solution in original post