IFERROR formula

Copper Contributor

I am trying use IFERROR to return a 0 where there is a "division by 0 error", as per the formula:

=IFERROR((N3-Q3)/N3,0)

i.e. if N3 = 0. However, I keep getting a formula error message. Where am I missing it?

Thanks

7 Replies

Hi Mark,

Formula is correct, please see attached

Hi Sergei,

Thanks very much for your response. I downloaded your example. However, when I tried it in my spreadsheet it gave an error message:

"You've entered too few arguments for this function."

I noticed your formula did not include a comma between the calculation (N3-Q3)/N3 and the 0, although in the Help example there was one. If I did add a comma, it gave the general formula error message (i.e. "There's a problem with this formula."Not trying to type a formula etc..). 

Excel highlighted the second N3 and 0 in grey after I got the initial error message (i.e. highlighting it had a problem there). 

The result of my formula must be in Column R, i.e.  R3 = (N3-Q3)/N3, where Column R is formatted as % with 1 decimal point. If I copied the formula in your example to R3 it gives the "too few arguments"message. Is there a circular reference error If I do this?

I have tried IF and IFERROR formulae, but both give these same errors, and I cannot see where the problem lies!

Thanks again,

Mark

Hi Mark,

If you attach the sample file with error it'll be easier to understand what's wrong with your variant of the formula. In general it's correct. IFERROR has two arguments separated by comma (if you are on English SKU of Excel)

first argument: (N3-Q3)/N3
second argument 0

entire function
=IFERROR((N3-Q3)/N3,0)

In attached file I put that formula in R3 and formatted as %, it works

Hi Sergei,

Thanks again for your reply. I have attached a sample spreadsheet for you to check. I can’t save it with the IFERROR formula as it keeps giving the formula error message or “too few arguments”message.

Kind regards,

Mark

Mark, I saved it with IFERROR, please check attached

Hi Sergei,

Thanks very much. I appreciate your help. Any idea why it would not work on my version?

Kind regards,

Mark

Mark, the only guess if you tried to enter the formula as

=IFERROR(N3-Q3)/N3,0)
instead of
=IFERROR((N3-Q3)/N3,0)