SOLVED

IF Statement help. If Null return Null

Steel Contributor

Hello, if A11 is null then how could I return nothing (meaning nothing in the cell..ie null).  In the below, if A11 is null then it returns "Not In a DD"

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A11&B11&C11,ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Vendor]]&ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Invoice '#]]&ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Invoice amount]],1,FALSE)),"NOT IN a DD","In Previous DD")

thank you.

7 Replies

You need to be careful with the word "null". In Excel #NULL! is an error or someone could be referring to the contents of a cell not containing a value. The two are distinctly different in how they are handled. I'm going to assume you meant the content of the cell does not contain a value. The following should produce what you need:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(IF(A11="",NA(),A11)&B11&C11,ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Vendor]]&ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Invoice '#]]&ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Invoice amount]],1,FALSE)),"NOT IN a DD","In Previous DD")

If you really meant that it has the error #NULL! in cell A11 then this should work:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(IFERROR(A11,NA())&B11&C11,ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Vendor]]&ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Invoice '#]]&ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Invoice amount]],1,FALSE)),"NOT IN a DD","In Previous DD")

Hi houghtonap, thank you for the response.
I tested and it seems to return "In Previous DD" if A11 is blank. Do you have another suggestion?

thanks for the tip. I wasnt exactly sure how to convey what I wanted to say but yes you were correct.
Are you sure that cell A11 is actually empty and it doesn't contain spaces? If for some reason it does contain spaces, the change the formula to

IF(TRIM(A11)="",NA(),A11)

I tested this by doing the following:
$A1 =IFERROR(IF(TRIM(A11)="",NA(),A11)&B11&C11,"EMPTY")
$A11 =""
$B11 ="ABC"
$C11 ="DEF"

When cell A11 is empty or spaces, then cell A11 has "EMPTY", otherwise it has cells $A11:$C11 concatenated together.

Sorry "When cell A11 is empty or spaces, then cell A11 has "EMPTY", "

Should read: When cell A11 is empty or spaces, then cell A1 has "EMPTY", 

Hi Hough, sorry for my tardy reply.

I might have to explained it well enough.
If A11 is blank then return a Blank. I do not want to return "NOT IN a DD","In Previous DD"...just return "".

does that change anything? thank you for the help.
best response confirmed by Tony2021 (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Yup, that changes things.

=IF(TRIM(CLEAN(A11))="","",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A11&B11&C11,ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Vendor]]&ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Invoice '#]]&ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Invoice amount]],1,FALSE)),"NOT IN a DD","In Previous DD"))

Nice. thank you very much! Works perfectly.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Tony2021 (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Yup, that changes things.

=IF(TRIM(CLEAN(A11))="","",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A11&B11&C11,ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Vendor]]&ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Invoice '#]]&ProjectCostsPQ_FE.xlsx!Project_Costs[[#All],[Invoice amount]],1,FALSE)),"NOT IN a DD","In Previous DD"))

View solution in original post