SOLVED

IF functions between workbooks

Copper Contributor

I wish to use the IF function by referencing a cell in an external workbook. I have used the link to the cell in the external workbook with the formula in the current workbook and it is not returning the result I want. The formula is

=IF('[Crabbet Park House_Project WorkBook_v1.0.xlsx]Actions'!$K$9="Open",'[Crabbet Park House_Project WorkBook_v1.0.xlsx]Actions'!$C$9,"")

Can anyone identify what is wrong?
Thanks

@ChrisDavies

7 Replies

@ChrisDavies The formula seems to be correct. But what's in K9 on the worksheet? Is it really "Open" or perhaps "Open ", with an extra space at the end. You say it doesn't return the result you want. Can you upload the file (without disclosing confidential information) and explain what result you expect to get?

=IF(Tabelle2!$K9="Öffnen",Tabelle2!$C9,"")

Add the name of your worksheet instead of Sheet2, it should work.

Formula Untested
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@ChrisDavies 

Just in case

image.png

and

image.png

@Sergei Baklan Thanks, I have now resolved it.  The formula worked in another cell and when I checked the cell it would not work in using excel to evaluate, the cell was identified as containing a constant.  Not sure why because I had not set the parameters of the cell to be any different to the one that the formula then worked in?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Thanks, I have now resolved it.  The formula worked in another cell and when I checked the cell it would not work in using excel to evaluate, the cell was identified as containing a constant.  Not sure why because I had not set the parameters of the cell to be any different to the one that the formula then worked in?

Thanks for your help.

Chris
Thanks, I have now resolved it.  The formula worked in another cell and when I checked the cell it would not work in using excel to evaluate, the cell was identified as containing a constant.  Not sure why because I had not set the parameters of the cell to be any different to the one that the formula then worked in?

Thanks for your help.
I am pleased that you came to a solution yourself.

I also wish you a lot of fun with Excel.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution