SOLVED

IF FUNCTION ISN'T WORKING NO MATTER HOW SIMPLE THE COMMAND IS

Copper Contributor

Hi, I was trying to use the IF function and it wasn't working so i tried to make it as simple as possible to see what the problem was. Still, it gave me an error even though I just copied and pasted the formula from windows support page so I don't really know what to do.

problem excel 2.JPGproblem excel.JPG

16 Replies
Try to type the formula rather than copy and paste it.
best response confirmed by thomasea (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Perhaps your list separator is not comma (e.g. semicolon). You may check Win+R type control international and here is under Additional settings

@Twifoo I believe this is the issue as well. Those quote marks look like smart quotes (curved quote marks) rather than proper actual quotation marks, which will break formulas in Excel (or nearly any programming language).

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

Perhaps your list separator is not comma (e.g. semicolon). You may check Win+R type control international and here is under Additional settings

thanks a lot it really worked @Sergei Baklan 

i already did it but as @Sergei Baklan said it was about typing semicolons instead of commas, but thanks anyway@Twifoo 

Should I put semicolon instead of coma

@Najeebibnu 

Depends on your regional settings. Please check here

image.png

if you are on Windows.

@Sergei Baklan Thank you! That was my issue on my Mac. I had to reset those OS default system settings. Thanks!

I have changed this setting to comma ( , ) for list separator, restarted PC, and closed/reopened Excel and still same error as thomasea. Everything written manually from scratch by myself.

@JakobNilssonTVV 

Could you please share sample workbook or at least screenshot to illustrate an issue?

Thank you but turns out it was the language. Found no other way than to use Swedish formulas instead. @Sergei Baklan 

Hi, i have the same issue with the IF statement while using ('') and my list separator already is comma(,). How can i get it doneexcel_if_error 2.JPGexcel_if_error.JPGlist separator.JPG @Sergei Baklan 

@abdulbasith29 

Most probably something is wrong with text you entered. For example, such error

image.png

if to use two single quotes ' as '' .

If text was entered correctly (with double quote character "), formula works

image.png

It could be something else, but such things better to discuss having sample file.

It works now. I got a hint from your reply. Actually when i press the double quote's ('')button, it actually is a single quote only, but it comes twice at the same time (I thought this is real double quote). But when i press it with SHIFT button, the real double quote appeared (""). So now it is working. Thank you so much @Sergei Baklan 

if_working.JPG 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by thomasea (Copper Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post