I need help writing a complex formula involving multiple dates corresponding to 1 data point

Copper Contributor

Hello! I am trying to analyze patient data, however my Excel skills are not perfect and I'm having an issue. I need help writing a complex formula involving multiple dates corresponding to 1 data point.

I have a list of patients in my spreadsheet with various medication fills and corresponding dates those medications were filled. What I'm trying to accomplish is identifying which patients filled a medication in January(1/1/2017-1/31/2017), February, AND March 2017. 

On the contrary, I'd like to also identify patients who DID NOT fill a medication in January, February, and March 2017. 

Thank you!

2 Replies

I think the easist way is to create a pivot table. Whith pivot table you can add dates as column heads and patient names to rows to see who fillen in which date.

If just list of patients who had or didn't have something in 1Q2017 you may simply filter your table/data range by dates.

If such list is to be copied into another place, when Power Query or Advanced filter could work, as well as formulas.

However, to be more concrete with suggestions better to have small sample file which illustrates how your data is structured and which result is desired (all fields with patient data or only names, etc, and where to place).