I need help, new to Excel!

Copper Contributor
I am trying to create a multiple person budget sheet. So I have each month separated out and all the info I need typed in. But I can not seem to get the SUM formula to work right for what I need it to do. I have attached an image of the numbers and how I am writing the formula.

Below I want a cell with the total of the eintire C column then a second cell I want to add up only the black font numbers and a third cell to add up only the purple font. Is that possible?
2 Replies
If you could send a worksheet (without sensitive data), it would be an advantage
... for you and for all who would like to help solve your problem.
Because we do not know which constant you want to use
... for example are the totals in other sheets that are added up?
what is the format in these sheets or cells?
... however a sheet would be an advantage

Thank you
Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@Erin_Rodriguez  there is probably a better way to set up the sheet and give you more functionality and be easier to work with.  That aside, my first question to you is why are some purple and some black?  How was that determined/entered?  For example if you have a conditional formatting rule that makes them purple then you can use that same basic rule in a SUMIF() statement or something similar.  If YOU are formatting them purple/black as you enter them then you really need to consider some better options.  you could have another column that would indicate what that color is supposed to indicate (i.e. deposit or withdrawal or ...) and you can then have excel work for you and do the coloring using conditional formatting.  

There are also many 'templates' already out on the internet.  you might want to do a search and see if you find one you like or maybe just get some good ideas from them.