SOLVED

I Need help designing a LET() function properly.

Copper Contributor

My problem revolves around creating a range, using variables provided by the LET() function, to create a proper range for a MAX() function. The variables are row numbers.

Background: I weigh myself daily. My Workbook has a Dashboard sheet, a Meter sheet, a Lookup sheet, and many others (but only those three apply to my question/problem.) The daily weights are recorded on the Meter sheet. Each day involves adding another row for "today's" new data. The data records begin on Row 6. The current row for the day I'm writing this is 258. (IOW, today is the 253rd day of recording my weight.) The number 258 is saved in a cell on the Lookup sheet. That cell has been defined with the name RowIDnow.

I need to create a cell on the Dashboard sheet that shows the statistical MAXIMUM weight ever. If the rows were static, the MAX() function would look like this:
=Max(Meter!R6C4:R258C4)

However, because the last row used changes every day, the MAX() function needs to receive a relative range that must be constructed and then inserted into the parenthesis. That is where the LET() function comes in. Here is my current LET() function, which is failing with an unrecognized syntax so that I can't even test it to discover my logic error.

=Let(
   Last,RowIDnow,
   max(Meter!r6c4:r&format(Last)&c4)
)

4 Replies
best response confirmed by bwy1129 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Why don't you use Indirect function.
=Max(Indirect("Meter!D6:D"&RowIDnow)
This is why I come to you guys! I've been in IT for over 40 years. (I still remember Radio Shack Model I computers with cassette tape storage), but I've crammed my head so full of system "things" that I have forgotten most of my VBA techniques. (Of course, it can't be MY or San Andreas' fault, so let's blame it on Mr. Alzheimer.)

That worked perfectly (after I added the final close_parenthesis). ;)

@bwy1129 

=LET(number,COUNTA(Meter!D6:D1048576),result,MAX(INDIRECT("Meter!D6:D"&number+5)),result)

An alternative with LET could be this formula which seems to work in my sheet.

@bwy1129 

Not sure I understood the data layout. In any case it's better to use structured Tables not to define dynamic ranges.

Second, why don't simply use

=MAX(D:D)

or you have other data after last row except texts and blank cells ?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by bwy1129 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Why don't you use Indirect function.
=Max(Indirect("Meter!D6:D"&RowIDnow)

View solution in original post