I need excell advice please.

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone, My name is Adam, and I'm just starting to get back into Excel. I'm having a hard time finding out how to Auto Populate my information. For Example, I need to create a drop down list and or search menu list of different medication. Once I use drop down list or search box list to find a medication to be given to our patients , I need it to auto populate different columns explaining the "common Use for this medication" , and the common "Side effects" of this medication, in addition " recommended way to consume product. As of right now I am having to type in all the date for each patient. This is taking way to long. In addition, because I'm having to type this information each time its creating significant opportunities for typo mistakes. I the option of selecting multiple medications, and each selected medication has a set output for "side effects" "Common use", "recommended consumption" I googled "How to populate drop down list", but its not giving me the information I need. I'm really hoping somone can lead me in the right direction. I'm not sure how to word the information I seeking. 

3 Replies

@adamg4life 

You may create a table on another sheet with all the medications along with their information in other columns and then you can use VLookup formula to look at the medication you select and populate other columns with the relevant information as required.

Please make a sample file with some dummy data and upload it here so that we can suggest a working solution. Don't forget to explain your requirements based on the sample file and it's better if you manually mock up the desired output for few rows as well.

Okay. I'll start getting that ready for you right now. Thanks. I greatly appreciate you taking time to help me through this process. 

@Subodh_Tiwari_sktneerHere is a blank Table I made in word. I would like to create an excel spread sheet that when I type in a drug name, it will load the other two columns automatically. I need the ability to load up multiple drugs. As of right now, I'm having to type in every row and Colum and its just taking way to long. I'm completely open to any program that can achieve my goal.. 

Here is an example: One of our patients needs 6 medications. Part of our care plan is explaining exactly how to take their medication, what this medication is commonly used for and what the side effects are for this drug.  In word, I created a basic cell format diving each criteria. I have to manually type in the drug name, then in the next Colum I have to explain purpose of this drug, then in next Colum I need to explain side effects. I have an attached blank copy of this word document. How can I create a database that will all this information just simply by typing in drug name and hitting enter. Then move down to next row and do the same thing. ect….