I need a (complicated?) formula

Copper Contributor

I have created an excel databased from which I have a pivot table to summarize employee time data. This pivot table is based on dates within a two week period of time.  It then rounds the time.  I take that data and have it copied into another sheet (via formulae) so that I can create a second pivot table that futher summarizes and caclulates overtime, time off, holidays...etc.  It was working beautifally with just one week.  (I have hard copies of all that data from which I am currently posting all of this and trying to elimnate all of the paper and work involved...if I get this working properly it will take processing from 2.5-3 hours to about 10 minutes.)

When I add the second week...my regular time isn't taking into account OT paid on a weekly basis.  For example:  an employee works 43 hours week 1 and 38 hours week 2.  Regular time for the two week period should be 78 hours and 3 hours overtime.  Instead, I am getting 80 hours regular and 1 hour overtime.

My formula currently reads:  =IF('Residual Hours'>(80-PTO),80-PTO,'Residual Hours') where Residual Hours is a calculated field taking total hours and subtracting time off, holidays, etc.

I know this is because it is not differentiating the two different weeks.  So...how do I write a formula to tell excel to look at the dates, determine that they are within a certain range and do the above caclulation based on 40 hours per week?  I would also love to be able to not have to change the range criteria each pay period if possible.

As an option, I could add a column to the database itself to indicate week 1 or week 2, then I could add that as a column to the first pivot table and the calculated fields would be relatively easy to manipulate.  However, I am still in need of a range function formula.  They always give me problems :(

Any help will be most appreciated!

2 Replies

Good Morning. 

As for Resizing your range.  Look into converting your range to a table.  I use 2016 and it has excel inherently just knows your modifying your table and youe can easily resize it off of the 'design' Ribbon.

As for identifying dates.  Create a column coilumns to the right of your data and create a formula in that column that calssify's a date as in falling inot a payperiod.   Then in the pivottable add a sum by  period.

I can attach an example if you would like.

Good luck ..

Joe

Here is an example of using vhlookup to grab a period you could use in your pivot table to group by