SOLVED

I'm currently working on a skill Assessment. Need help with creating a vlookup formula.

Copper Contributor

I'm getting frustrated with the Vlookup formula. Does anyone know of a great video they can refer me to?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by BlessedEmpress (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@BlessedEmpress 

See a couple of issues with the formula you provided.

Here's the corrected version:

=VLOOKUP(C3, 'Worksheet 2'!A3:C9, 3, TRUE)

Here's an explanation,  of the changes made:

1. The first argument of the VLOOKUP function is the value you want to look up. In your formula, you included the cell reference C3 correctly.
  2. The second argument of the VLOOKUP function is the range of cells where you want to search for the value. In your formula, you should separate the sheet name ('Worksheet 2') and the range reference (A3:C9) with a comma.
  3. The third argument of the VLOOKUP function is the column index number of the value you want to retrieve. In your formula, you correctly specified 3 to retrieve the value from the third column in the range.
  4. The fourth argument of the VLOOKUP function is the range lookup option. In your formula, you correctly specified TRUE for an approximate match. This assumes that the data in the first column of the lookup range is sorted in ascending order.

By making these adjustments, the VLOOKUP formula should work correctly to display the potential revenue from 'Worksheet 2' in 'Worksheet 3' based on the value in cell C3.

@NikolinoDE Thank You! I've edited my post to insert screenshots and my formula. Once I fixed my formula, my result ends up being $0. Would this be correct? If not, how do I fix this?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by BlessedEmpress (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@BlessedEmpress 

See a couple of issues with the formula you provided.

Here's the corrected version:

=VLOOKUP(C3, 'Worksheet 2'!A3:C9, 3, TRUE)

Here's an explanation,  of the changes made:

1. The first argument of the VLOOKUP function is the value you want to look up. In your formula, you included the cell reference C3 correctly.
  2. The second argument of the VLOOKUP function is the range of cells where you want to search for the value. In your formula, you should separate the sheet name ('Worksheet 2') and the range reference (A3:C9) with a comma.
  3. The third argument of the VLOOKUP function is the column index number of the value you want to retrieve. In your formula, you correctly specified 3 to retrieve the value from the third column in the range.
  4. The fourth argument of the VLOOKUP function is the range lookup option. In your formula, you correctly specified TRUE for an approximate match. This assumes that the data in the first column of the lookup range is sorted in ascending order.

By making these adjustments, the VLOOKUP formula should work correctly to display the potential revenue from 'Worksheet 2' in 'Worksheet 3' based on the value in cell C3.

View solution in original post