I can't sort (ascendent/descendent) data in a protcted sheet even thou I set SORT option enable

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone.

I have a protected sheet and I had set 2 options to use: Autofill and Sort.

Users that access can use Autofiltering but when they try to sortering in a way (ascendent / descendent) appears a meesage: "Sheet protected. May other elements can be checked but not changed".

To be clear, "SORT" option is enable but when I use it, doesn't sort. File is uploaded in a channel at Microsoft Teams to be used by some users. Thanks in advance! Regards. LuisEmilio.

LuisEmilio_0-1659675348705.png

3 Replies

@LuisEmilio You need to select the entire range/table (including the header row) and format the cells not to be locked by unchecking the "Locked" option in the Protection tab of the Format Cells window.

Riny_van_Eekelen_0-1659677237024.png

Then protect the sheet and you are still able to filter and/or sort the range/table.

Thank you @Riny_van_Eekelen for your answer.

Following your instructions, it means I can protect sheet but anyone can modify any cell.

What I need is protect cells for not being modified while sheet is protected. Meanwhile users can autofiltering and sort range/table. All about this is with sheet protected.

Regards.