I can't Select the row above the active cell...HELP!

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I can't select the cell above the active cell. This may be dumb but it won't let me highlight it.

Attached is a simple to view picture.

Please help!!

Thanks so much

Neal

10 Replies

Neal,

I haver had this problem in the past. The way round it is to select a cell just to the right or above the one you want  and then use the keyboard arrow keys to get to the cell. 

I also am having this problem!  I have not been able to search the help and resources because I can not find the right combination of keywords which come close enough to figure it out.    It was working fine, and then either I accidently changed something or ???.  It is just the one spreadsheet so far that I was working on.   It makes it very difficult to visually see what cell your in on graphically show the group of cells selected vs the normal shading and borderlines around the cell or group of cells.   @nrafferty618 

Has there been a fix yet.   This is still a problem for some of us.  @nrafferty618 

This is still a problem for me....so wonderful to hear about the accomplishments of Bill Gates, yet excel doesn't work correctly haha

@BrokenExcel 

In the screenshot in the first post, the cell is being edited and the row height is just to small for the font size (or the font size is too large for the row height), causing the editing area to spill into the cell above.

Press Esc to stop editing the cell, and you should be able to select the cell above.

Actually, what fixed the issue is to 1) clear all formats and 2) change cell format to numbers -and- do an additional convert to number (to remove the green tags from cells)
It does look like it was related to cell height, after changing all the formats and converting to number

@BrokenExcel 

Anybody notice the dates on these posts? This is a recent problem created with the release of Office365. I've been an Excel user for over 25 years and until recently this was not an issue. Microsoft, please address.

Yes, this is still a problem and it is unrelated to the sizing of the cells. Does Microsoft read this? @asimasko 

Just encountered this and decided to adjust my font size of the entire worksheet to either font size 10 or font size 12 (anything but 11) and it seemed to do the trick for me. It was annoying as I was doing formulas and selecting the cell directly above was not possible. Hope this helps whoever still is having the issue.