Hyperlinks

Copper Contributor

Excel: 365

I would like to add a hyperlink to a place in my document.  I do not want it to have a specific cell reference because I may add rows to the page where my hyperlink points to. 

For instance, I have assigned a hyperlink (place in this document) on sheet named "work orders" and it points to cell C7 on sheet named "dates".  This works if I never add rows to the destination sheet.  If I add 3 rows above row 7 on sheet "dates", then my hyperlink is off by 3 rows.  I do have unique headings to each area I want the hyperlink to be set to.  i.e. "Work Order 5", "Work Order 12". 

Can I assign a hyperlink to a unique name within the sheet and it will always point to "Work Order 5" no matter which row it is located?

1 Reply

@tlwellborn 

Select C7 on sheet Dates.

Click in the address box on the left hand side of the formula bar and replace the cell address with a name, for example WorkOrder5 (don't use spaces in the name) and press Enter.

Switch to the sheet with the Work Orders sheet and right-click the cell with the hyperlink.

Select Edit Hyperlink... from the context menu.

You should now see a section Defined Names in the 'Or select a place in this document' tree, with the name that you created under it.

Select it, then click OK.