hyperlinks to sheets within workbook

Copper Contributor

Working in a spreadsheet that someone else created, so not sure how hyperlinks were originally created.  There are hyperlinks under Cell Reference, which are the actual names of the tabs, but there are also links under Defined Names and they appear to link to a particular cell within the sheet.  Is there a way to get rid of those options?  I am trying to clean up the spreadsheet and minimize potential for error for future users.  Also, I'm concerned about anyone changing the names of the tabs/sheets and breaking the hyperlinks to that tab.  Is linking to the Cell Reference a dynamic hyperlink or how do I need to create a dynamic hyperlink?  Is there an easy way to create them?  I'm not real savvy with Excel.

kimwagner_0-1600439018828.png

3 Replies

@kimwagner 

You can view the definition of the defined names by clicking on Name Manager in the Defined Names group of the Formulas tab of the ribbon.

If you delete a defined name, a hyperlink referring to it won't work anymore.

If you don't want users to change the name of worksheets, click Protect Workbook in the Protect group of the Review tab of the ribbon. You can specify a password if you like (don't forget it!)

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thank you for your response.  Do you think it's preferable to use the Cell Reference type hyperlink as opposed to Defined Names?  Also, does there need to be a value in the Type the cell reference field?

kimwagner_0-1600440905006.png

@kimwagner 

Named ranges can be a handy way to clarify what a cell means. If you use named ranges, it makes sense to use them in hyperlinks too. Apart from that, there is no special reason to prefer one above the other.

If you create a hyperlink to another sheet and leave the Cell Reference box empty, Excel will automatically enter A1 as cell reference.