Hyperlinks Excel

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and not tech savvy.  I hope someone will be able to assist with the two questions I have.  

Question 1:  

I have a spreadsheet in excel and I managed to create a hyperlink to another sheet, however when it takes me to the other sheet it is difficult to immediately see where that cell is.  I would like that cell in the destination sheet to be highlighted in a different colour but return to normal colour once I click away from it.  Is this at all possible?

Question 2:

I have a lot of Hyperlinks in my document and would like the hyperlinks to go to the correct cell if I add another row or perhaps even a column.  

Any very detailed assistance with this would be great :) 

Thanks.

2 Replies

Hi @S_C_01 

to answer your first question:

There is now standard functionality to change the color of a cell when selecting it and change back when you leave it. To achieve that, you would need VBA/macro progamming.

Regarding question 2:

There are several ways to create hyperlinks in Excel. The first one is a right-click into a cell and then choose "Link":

Martin_Weiss_0-1674028312718.png

And then select the desired file. I assume this is the way that you created your links, but please correct me if I'm wrong. If so, as far as I know, you cannot specify a certain cell or worksheet in that file.

The second option would by the HYPERLINK function. Here you could not only specify the filename, but also the exact target sheet and cell. Example:

=HYPERLINK("[D:\Temp\Aging.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$8","Click here")

Martin_Weiss_1-1674028482310.png

And that target address will not change even if new rows are added there.

Maybe this helps.

Hi, thanks for your reply. It would be great if someone can show me how to do the VBA/macro progamming for the hyperlink destination cell colour.