Hyperlink - "Site reports that the request is no longer valid"

Copper Contributor

Hello, I am using Excel from Office 2003 and Windows 10 on a PC.

I have created (18 months ago) a spreadsheet to catalogue my vinyl collection. For every album I enter a hyperlink to Discogs, which has worked fine for 18 months. Then 2 weeks ago I began to get the above message when any old or newly added hyperlink  is clicked and the hyperlink does not work. If I copy and paste the hyperlink into the browser it works. I have googled, and there is a mention of 'bots', suggesting that the browser? Discogs? might think I am a bot. Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks

4 Replies

@themajordude 

First, let me thank you for introducing me to that discogs site. Never heard of it, and I do have some old vinyl records, in great condition, that might (in at least a few cases) have some value. Most of them, sadly, are of artists (e.g., Perry Como) that I liked a lot, but probably are less collectible in 2021.

Now, with regard to your question: I used to teach diagnostic thinking, and what you've posted prompted a couple of questions in my mind to try to narrow things down.

• Specifically around the timing: You mention that things were working fine for 18 months but two weeks ago you began to get the error message.
  • What's not clear--and clarity is of the essence in determining cause--is whether that error message now happens ALL the time--with every link clicked--or only selectively. If selectively what is distinctive to the ones that generate the error as contrasted with those that don't?
  • Is there a community in discogs where you could post the question, find out if other people are experiencing the same?

I am having the same issue one multiple devices, networks with Discogs website. Appears to be related to this site. @themajordude 

Thanks for that. Yes Discogs is a great site. Will checl with them re problem.
Thanks, I'll try to sort it with Discogs, I'll let you know if I get anywhere.