Hyperlink an internal document in a pivot table

Copper Contributor

I am having some trouble with trying to create a hyperlink in a pivot table. The problem is that its an internal document instead of a http: link.  I potientially found a round about way with putting a smaller table beside the pivot table but I am having trouble linking the table to the pivot table. I did create all the connections I need in Power Pivot but no luck. What I am trying to do is create a dashboard that highlights certain objects and allow the end user to also click on a specific hyperlink that would pull have a folder that would have pictures in it.  Is there a way to get around this without using a macro or would I have to use a macro. Please let me know I am also running Excel 2016.

Thank you

6 Replies
Can you post a screen-shot of what you have so we might have an idea? Even better, can you post a (dummy) workbook with the same layout but nonsense data?

@chelsea_andrew 

Here is an example file with a hyperlink in pivot ... I had it in my archive ... I don't know where I got it from ... but thanks to the donor ... if you can help.

If I could help with that, I would appreciate a short feedback.

Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE 

I can get the hyperlinks in the tables but I can't get the hyperlinks to work in a pivot table. 

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

What Nikolino posted is what I am doing but the Pivot Table itself will not hyperlink too internal folders/files. The next step for me will be combining different workbooks into one workbook while still being able to hyperlink a certain column to those internal folders/files.

Unfortunately I can not help here .... I had the file in the archive and sent it because it might be useful .... but with pivot I can not help much.

Wish you success in your project and hopefully there is someone who knows a lot more than I do and who can help above all.

Nikolino
solution for Combine different workbooks in one workbook

Sub ConslidateWorkbooks()
'Created by Sumit Bansal from https://trumpexcel.com
Dim FolderPath As String
Dim Filename As String
Dim Sheet As Worksheet
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
FolderPath = Environ("userprofile") & "DesktopTest"
Filename = Dir(FolderPath & "*.xls*")
Do While Filename <> ""
Workbooks.Open Filename:=FolderPath & Filename, ReadOnly:=True
For Each Sheet In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
Sheet.Copy After:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)
Next Sheet
Workbooks(Filename).Close
Filename = Dir()
Loop
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Open a new Excel workbook.
Press ALT + F11 (or go to Developer –> Code –> Visual Basic). This will open the Visual Basic Editor.
In the VB Editor, in the Project Editor, right-click on any of the objects for the workbook and go to Insert –> Module. This will insert a module for the workbook.
Double click on the module. It will open the code window on the right.
Copy and paste the above code into the code window.
In the code, you need to change the following line of code:

FolderPath = Environ("userprofile") & "DesktopTest"

In this line, change the part in double quotes (highlighted in orange) with the location of the folder in which you have the files that you want to combine. In the code used above, the folder is on the Desktop. In case you have it in some other location, specify that path here.
Place the cursor anywhere in the code and click on the green play button in the Toolbar options (or press the F5 key).

How this Code Works?

The code uses the DIR function to get the file names from the specified folder.
The following line assigns the first excel file name to the variable ‘Filename’.
Filename = Dir(FolderPath & “*.xls*”)
Then the Do While loop is used to check whether all the files have been covered.
Within the ‘Do While’ loop, ‘For Each’ loop is used to copy all the worksheets to the workbook in which we are running the code.
At the end of the Do Loop, following line of code is used: Filename = Dir(). It assigns the next Excel file name to the Filename variable and the loop starts again.
When all the files are covered, DIR function returns an empty string, which is when the loop ends.

If you liked it as a solution, please mark it as the best solution and thumb up. If not please give feedback on how exactly the combination is intended.
source: https://trumpexcel.com/combine-multiple-workbooks-one-excel-workbooks/

I can read and googling as so I have a clear advantage :)
Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)