SOLVED

How to use IF statements to calculate power usage and cost

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to use IF statements (I think this is correct) to work out power usage of a machine at certain times to therefore workout the cost associated with running this.

Please see the photos with the information. I am unsure of the formula to write to work out the amount of time the machine is running between certain times (peak power times, off-peak times, etc).

The overall goal is to input the start and end kw/hr reading as well as the start and finish time of the machine. Excel will then do the rest calculating the time in each period (peak, off-peak, etc) and therefore a total cost for that day.

Thanks to @Hans Vogelaar for responding to a previous post (forgot my login details and therefore have a new Microsoft Account) which had an answer, but I could not translate that work into what I am trying to achieve above. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say thank you!

Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 12.10.38.pngScreenshot 2022-12-07 at 12.11.45.png

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies

@garygiles01 

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?

Thanks @Hans Vogelaar, very much appreciated.

Here is the link to the sheet. Sheet 1 was your first iteration.

Thank you again in advance.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Am09L0ilmxefb7GNEPbPXOtkSDc?e=0TW6pC

best response confirmed by garygiles01 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@garygiles01 

See the attached version. The formulas are simpler since you want to calculate the periods for every individual day.

The cost now takes the change in rate into account.

@Hans Vogelaar Many thanks indeed!

This is sincerely appreciated and works well. I just had to manipulate the 'cost' column so it calculated the rates as a percentage of the Kw/hrs used.  

Only posting the revised link if it's of interest. Otherwise thanks again.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Am09L0ilmxefc13Z4Dlxpo0OZSI?e=YaR4sb

G

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by garygiles01 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@garygiles01 

See the attached version. The formulas are simpler since you want to calculate the periods for every individual day.

The cost now takes the change in rate into account.

View solution in original post