SOLVED

How to update a large data set when selecting cells from a master column

Copper Contributor

I have a data set consisting of approx. 15 columns and 9 rows. The data shows different outcomes based on the percentage of a total that is in it's own column, which I'll call it the master column. What I'd like is the ability to click on a value in the master column and have all the data in the table update to reflect the pertinent percentages based on the master column selection. 

So let's say the master column has values of 10, 50, and 100 cupcakes. The data table shows the various profits of selling different percentages of the total cupcakes at various prices. So when I click on 50 in the master column, the data table should change to show the profits from selling 5%, 10%, 15%, etc., of the cupcakes at various prices. Hopefully this makes sense. 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

Hi @MHDesign 

it won't work with just clicking in a cell of your master column.

Instead, you should prepare one single cell where you enter the desired number of cupcakes. And then use in all the customer calculation formuals a reference to this single cell.

For more comfort, you could set up a dropdown list for this single cell by using data validation. And there you refer to the master column, so one can select only values which exist in the master column.

@Martin_Weiss The dropdown list in the cell was a great idea and worked perfectly. Thank you!! 
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

Hi @MHDesign 

it won't work with just clicking in a cell of your master column.

Instead, you should prepare one single cell where you enter the desired number of cupcakes. And then use in all the customer calculation formuals a reference to this single cell.

For more comfort, you could set up a dropdown list for this single cell by using data validation. And there you refer to the master column, so one can select only values which exist in the master column.

View solution in original post