How to Stop Excel from Scrolling when Pasting

Copper Contributor

When I copy a cell on the left side of a spreadsheet and paste into a cell on the right side, the whole spreadsheet scrolls right.  Sometimes it also scrolls up or down.  It's almost like Excel wants the pasted cell to be in the middle of the display.  It does it in the other direction too.  Is there a setting that I have somehow accidentally turned on that forces the display location of any cell that that control-V is used in?  I spend all day chasing my spreadsheets around. 

15 Replies

Hi @DavidThorpe 

I don't think there's a setting, but I think if you slightly adjust the column width of where you are pasting prior to pasting the jumping should stop  (it did when I just checked - I'm using Excel 365 Desktop)

@Wyn Hopkins 

I tried that, it still did it.  Here is an example of what it's doing. 

I'm copying the red cell (control c) and pasting it into the yellow cell (control v)...

DavidThorpe_9-1611843017882.png

It scrolled to the right.  The blue cell is where the curser was after it scrolled.

DavidThorpe_10-1611843070090.png

If I paste into any cell below the yellow one it scrolls.  If I paste into any square above the yellow one it doesn't scroll. 

Very odd.
Does changing the screen zoom (down the bottom right) have any effect?
I can't reproduce what's happening for you, never seen it before.

Might be worth running a repair (if it's Office 365 )

@Wyn Hopkins 

Thanks for the response.  I zoomed out to the point that I can't read the text and it still does it.  It is Office 365, repairing didn't fix it and neither did re-installing.  

Hi @DavidThorpe 

I'd recommend you send a frown (via File > Feedback, and include a link to this thread)

Hopefully someone in the Excel team would investigate.

My last random guess suggestion would be to try ticking the box to "Disable Hardware Graphics acceleration".  That setting sometimes causes odd results.

image.png

hi, i have the same issue with a customer.
office and windows is updated.

any solution?

@LiranPuterman  year later and no.  I just have to live with it.  Annoys me to no end every single day.

@DavidThorpe 

Try freezing the top row or the first column. This happened to me a lot too but what normally fixes it is freezing a row or column. I normally freeze the top row since my spreadsheets are always scrolling back up. Go to View > Freeze Panes > Freeze Top Row

Hope this helps!

@Teleifu 

I have the same issue.  Freezing the top row works, but that is an obnoxious work around because I don't always want to freeze rows, but I will almost always be using copy/paste on all work I do.  Seems like there should be another option to prevent the jumping around, especially if the freeze rows prevents this from happening.

@danita357 

I understand but unfortunately at this time that's the only work around I've come across. If you figure out another way feel free to let us know. Personally, I utilize freeze panes a lot so it's actually beneficial for me but I also get that not everyone will want to do this. There needs to be some sort of copy/paste scroll lock button we can check/uncheck to prevent this from happening.

@Teleifu 

Scratch last message, I reopened the same sheet and it is still jumping around even with the row frozen

@danita357  That's been my experience too.  I was hopeful, but it didn't fix it.

Try unfreezing it and freeze it again. See if that changes anything or freeze a column instead of the top row.
Nothing works, maybe it will work once after opening file, but then it will start jumping again. Even with all the suggestion of freezing cells, making columns bigger before pasting, or zooming in or out. This is Microsoft, not some small new company that hasn't created multiple versions with so many updates, how is there not a quick fix for this? Why would anyone want the page to jump all over the place when using paste, surely is a very silly and strange default setting.

No need to rant more since there is no solution.

@danita357 I came across this thread because I've been having the same issue the last few days on all my workbooks. https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/screen-jumps-when-in-excel.1187879/ I followed the steps presented from this thread (the one saying to go to Options and Add-Ins) and it fixed the issue for me.