how to share excel file with accessible (to others) embedded pdf links

Copper Contributor

I've seen this question asked in several forums but never a solution. I have an Excel file I want to share with co-workers. Within the Excel file are links to pdf's. It seems like such a simple concept. I want my co-workers to be able to click on the icon, link, object, whatever and be able to open the attached pdf file. Can pdf's actually be uploaded or do they need to be stored in a shared folder? Thanks!!

1 Reply

Hi @MFaulhaber2465,

Couple of things, in order to link to a pdf in Excel (or any other file) right click on the cell you want the link in and select Link. Then navigate to the file itself and click OK. You can customize the text to display line in the example attached.

Bennadeau_0-1595532939413.png

That being said, the file pdf file does need to be somehow accessible by the recipients computer. So yes a shared network drive is probably best. If the address link points to "C:\..." that is your local computer and it won't work well as the recipient computer won't know anything about your local computer.  If the link looks like "\\servername\sharedFolder" and both your and the recipient computer can access that folder, you're in business.

To your other question, I don't believe you can merge a pdf in an Excel file. I like your thinking here though.