SOLVED

How to Share Access to Excel Web Page

Copper Contributor

I saved an Excel workbook as a web page.  I right clicked on the file to allow everyone access and then emailed the link to those I wanted to share it with however clicking on the link doesn't work.  I even emailed the link to myself and could not open the link by clicking on it.

Stumped!

10 Replies
What precisely are you trying to achieve?
The people you send that link to, what are they supposed to be able to do? And what are they not supposed to be able to do?

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Hi Jan,

We have weekly Ops dashboards that we email to our leadership team.  Instead of emailing these dashboards, I would like to just send a link.

Thank you,

Andrew

What about my other questions? You can share an Excel file from within the app directly, using the Share button (right-hand side of ribbon tabs).
Allow people to only view/read, not make changes.
file:///C:/Users/chrus/Documents/PerformanceOptimalHealth/Weekly%20Report/Class%20Size%20and%20Value%20Weekly%20Report%2004182022.htm
After clicking that Share button, click "Anyone with the link can edit" and uncheck "Allow editing". Then copy that link.
I saved the Dashboard as a web page. I right clicked on the file, allowed everyone access, copied link and then emailed the link to those I wanted to share it. However when they clicked on the link the page doesn't open. This link does not highlight so it appears to be inactive. I even emailed the link to myself and could not open the link by clicking on it.
That is not how you should do it. You open the dashboard *in Excel*, then *in Excel* you click the Share button.
I apologize, maybe I didn't completely explain myself. I'm trying to make the dashboard a webpage and then create and share via a link.
Thank you,
Andrew
best response confirmed by Andrew_Chruscicki (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If you need that dashboard to be interactive (like allowing filtering) there are two ways:
1. Use PowerBI (needs a license I think)
2. Save the file to OneDrive and generate an embed code which you can then use in a blog post or web page. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/embed-your-excel-workbook-on-your-web-page-or-blog-from-s...
Great!. Jan, you have been an invaluable resource, I can't thank you enough!
Best,
Andrew
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Andrew_Chruscicki (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If you need that dashboard to be interactive (like allowing filtering) there are two ways:
1. Use PowerBI (needs a license I think)
2. Save the file to OneDrive and generate an embed code which you can then use in a blog post or web page. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/embed-your-excel-workbook-on-your-web-page-or-blog-from-s...

View solution in original post