How to set conditional values of a cell base on the value of another cell

Copper Contributor

I'm a very basic user of excel so please forgive my ignorance.   I'm attempting to assign a cell a specific value base on certain conditions of another cells value.  I'm inputing score cards for my golf league.  Each hole they play they will end with a score.  Base on whatever they scored they get points for it or get points taken away.  Example:  If they make a bogey on the hole they recieve 1pt, Par 2pts, Birdie 3pts,  Eagle 5pts,  and then double Bogey -1pt, Triple Bogey -2pts.  So I would have multiple Conditions for each hole.  And the conditions wont always be the same because each hole is different in terms of PAR.   I ignorantly tried to just create one condition to see if I could.  Mine looked like this =2IFC39=4.   meaning 2 pts because they parred the first hole (first hole is a par 4).   If someone could help with how this formula should actually look it would be help me so much.  And beyond that,  If this is even possible

3 Replies

@mdmiles1485 

Given multiple holes, differing pars, etc., you'd probably be better served by approaching this with a couple of tables and using one of several different LOOKUP formulas.  By tables, I mean something like this:

mathetes_0-1683814655180.png

To paraphrase your first sentence, though, describing myself "I'm not at all experienced in golf, neither player nor spectator, so please forgive my ignorance."  I do know Excel, I think, sufficiently to answer your Excel questions once you clarify such things as:

• what a golf score card looks like,
  • what data you expect to enter into each cell for each player's results on each hole --
    • do you enter the strokes played, or do you just enter the more abstract "Bogey" or "Birdie," or both
  • etc. (i.e., anything else that might figure in to the data you'd collect and the output you'd expect when all is tabulated.

And, yes, I really am that ignorant about golf. (Tennis is my game.)

I also am part of a small group of friends who play several of the word games that have become so popular in recent months, and I have a spreadsheet where I tabulate the results. Each day's results, results YTD, and averages, medians, etc. The top level summary looks like this (and just like golf, the low score wins; OK, I'm not totally ignorant of golf's rules).

mathetes_1-1683814913742.png

Hi @mdmiles1485 

you are already very close with your formula.

=IF(C39=4;2;0)

It gives 2 if the value in cell C39 = 4, otherwise it gives 0

@mdmiles1485 

=VLOOKUP(C2-B2,$G$2:$I$7,3,FALSE)
=VLOOKUP(C2-B2,$G$2:$I$7,2,FALSE)

An alternative could be a reference table along with VLOOKUP formulas. The formulas are in cells D2 and E2 and filled down.

scores and points.JPG