SOLVED

How to Return Column Data Based on Matching Row Data in First and Second Worksheets

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

I am not really sure how to explain what I want to accomplish, but I believe what I am looking to do is possible with INDEX and MATCH. Basically, I have a column of data on one worksheet that is also the same of one of the columns of data on another worksheet. The similar data would be usernames. On the second worksheet there's also a column of data that I had manually entered. I want to be able to populate the first worksheet with that column data depending on the name and the corresponding data in the added column.

The names in the rows repeat multiple times, and every time the name repeats, it needs to have the same data that's in the column in the second worksheet. The number of repetitions is different between both worksheets.

I will have to search the first column in the second worksheet to see if the name matches to that of the first worksheet. I will then need to have the data in the next column returned to the first worksheet. (The return data can be placed in the column next to the names.)

Please see that attached file for an example of what I want. Sorry for the confusing explanation.

Thanks. 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Anthony Smith (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Maybe just try using a vlookup:

Here is some additional info on how the function works:

https://www.excelcampus.com/functions/excel-vlookup-explained/

vlookupexample.png

What would be the difference between using a VLOOKUP function and a combined INDEX and MATCH function?

Off the top of my head:

1. Index / Match formulas can be more efficient in large data files. For the average file the calculation time will be negligible.

2. Index / Match is superior to vlookup in that it can look at data left to right (like vlookup) but also right to left.

3. Index / Match syntax is harder to remember.

I went ahead and read through how to perform the INDEX MATCH function and used that on my data set because it is fairly large and complex. 

It worked really well. I am curious what else I'll be able to do with it. 

Thanks for the help.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Anthony Smith (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Maybe just try using a vlookup:

Here is some additional info on how the function works:

https://www.excelcampus.com/functions/excel-vlookup-explained/

vlookupexample.png

View solution in original post