SOLVED

How to prevent users from referencing to locked cell in Excel

Copper Contributor
Is there a way to prevent users from referencing to locked cells? Or prevent them from typing in a reference formula whatsoever?
4 Replies

@jv2309 go to review tab, then protect sheet, then in dialog box just uncheck the select locked cells, then your locked cells cant be selected by the user 

Thanks for the answer! However, let's say I've locked and hidden all cells in column F, I can still access the value by typing in "=F15" (for example) in an unlocked cell. Is there any way to avoid this? I tried to add a choice list so the user can't just type anything in the unlocked cell, but that doesn't work if the value in the locked "F" column has a value that's also an option in the choice list. I'd like to just prevent to let the user type a reference formula overall, is there a way to do this?
best response confirmed by jv2309 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The closest I could come was to format the unprotected cells as text. That would prevent the user from entering a working formula into the cell whilst allowing data input, albeit as text.
This worked for me. Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jv2309 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The closest I could come was to format the unprotected cells as text. That would prevent the user from entering a working formula into the cell whilst allowing data input, albeit as text.

View solution in original post