How to prevent excel files from beeing edited within Teams

Copper Contributor

I have an excel file stored in Teams, which contains tables with several formulas. Whenever someone edits the content of a table directly within Teams, many of the formulas are getting corrupted. Therefore, is there any possibility to only grant write access to the file when it's opened in the desktop app?

4 Replies
Are you saying the formulas do not "corrupt" when the file is edited in the desktop app? What kind of formulas are these and which action(s) in Excel on-line cause(s) the corruption to happen?
E.g. if you create a spreadsheet in excel, which contains tables. Lets say one table has following columns: "Quantity", "Price / piece", "Total price".
The columns "Quantity" and "Price / piece" are filled manually by the user, whereas "Total price" is calculated automatically using the following formula: [@Quantity]*[@[Price / piece]].
If you now want to add another item (row) to this table and you do it in the desktop app, everything works as expected:
- A new row will be created
- The existing column based formula will be extended to the new row automatically

But if you do the same procedure in the online/teams app, then the formula will not come to the new row automatically - not even a manual copy of the formula works in teams because the formula will not be evaluated. The only possible solution which I know so far is to correct it in the desktop app, which could get a huge additional effort - especially if you need to maintain more than one file containing larger tables with many formulas.
For me it works just fine in Teams. Can you share one or two formulas which do not work?
This is weird, for some reason it works now without having anything changed.
Thanks for your support.