How to prevent Excel file from automatically opening in OneDrive

Copper Contributor
Normally when I open a file in the OneDrive app, I get a preview of the file and have to click/tap an icon for the corresponding program (Word, Excel) to open the file for editing.

I have one particular file that opens automatically in Excel as soon as I select the file. It's the one file I would prefer to preview because the preview is perfect for taking a screenshot on my phone. It's a monthly schedule, so I go back to it over and over again.

It's just the one file, so I think it's an Excel issue, not a OneDrive issue. Saving a copy of the file in a different location with a different name didn't solve the problem. It happens across all my devices--between work and home I have a Windows desktop, a Windows laptop, a Microsoft Surface, an Android tablet and an Android phone. I really don't want to try to rebuild the file from scratch.
3 Replies
Perhaps the file contains something that cannot be edited with Excel on-line and thus it automatically opens in desktop Excel? Though I didn't know Excel on-line does this, in the past it would just show you an error box stating to open in desktop Excel.
Is there anything specific that I should look for? I saved a copy of the current sheet as a file by itself (embarrassed that I didn't think of that before; I forget to think of Excel files as individual sheets that can work independently from the file as a whole), and it worked the way it was supposed to, so I guess I'll copy each sheet to the new file one by one until I find the one with the problem, but not sure what to look for when I figure out which sheet has the issue. I can't remember what I had done just before the problem started.

Thanks!
Well, the process you describe is quite a good one (if not boring :) )