SOLVED

How to lock cells

Copper Contributor

Hi! I would like to ask for help with my excel file. I would lock to lock formatting, deleting, or typing on all cells except the cells filled with the color green. How can I do this? Thank you for helping! Can I also get the step by step procedure?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by lavita17 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@lavita17 

This is a two-step process. By default, all cells are locked but this only becomes effective when you protect the worksheet.

Step 1: unlock cells.

1. Select the cells that the user should be able to edit. You can hold down Ctrl to select non-contiguous ranges.
  2. Press Ctrl+1 to activate the Format Cells dialog.
  3. Activate the Protection tab.
  4. Clear the Locked check box.
  5. Click OK.

Step 2: protect worksheet.

1. Activate the Review tab of the ribbon.
  2. Click 'Protect Sheet'.
  3. Tick the check boxes for the features the users should be permitted on unlocked cells.
  4. At the very least, leave 'Select unlocked cells' ticked, otherwise the user won't be able to do anything.
  5. If you want to specify a password that will be needed to unprotect the sheet, enter it in the box. Do not forget the password!
  6. Click OK.
  7. If you entered a password, you will be asked to enter it again as confirmation.
  8. Save the workbook.

@lavita17 

You might be best served by this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiRVgAZnGGA

It explains the process fully, and would enable you to implement it on your own.

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by lavita17 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@lavita17 

This is a two-step process. By default, all cells are locked but this only becomes effective when you protect the worksheet.

Step 1: unlock cells.

1. Select the cells that the user should be able to edit. You can hold down Ctrl to select non-contiguous ranges.
  2. Press Ctrl+1 to activate the Format Cells dialog.
  3. Activate the Protection tab.
  4. Clear the Locked check box.
  5. Click OK.

Step 2: protect worksheet.

1. Activate the Review tab of the ribbon.
  2. Click 'Protect Sheet'.
  3. Tick the check boxes for the features the users should be permitted on unlocked cells.
  4. At the very least, leave 'Select unlocked cells' ticked, otherwise the user won't be able to do anything.
  5. If you want to specify a password that will be needed to unprotect the sheet, enter it in the box. Do not forget the password!
  6. Click OK.
  7. If you entered a password, you will be asked to enter it again as confirmation.
  8. Save the workbook.

View solution in original post