SOLVED

How to lock cells so they cannot be moved but can still input data

Copper Contributor

I would like to protect my spreadsheet where there are locked and unlocked cells. I can do this but the unlocked cells can be moved which then causes the spreadsheet to fail. Is it possible to lock the data input cells so that these cells cannot be moved. On the web it says the 20067 and 2010 excell versions had an option where there was an "Object positioning" and "Don't move or size cells" option but I cannot find it on the excel version I am using. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

@Frank13

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Frank13 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I have just solved the problem myself. To lock the cells so they cannot be moved after protection activated but can still input data into the cell then do the following

“Review” – “Check accessibility” – “Options accessibility” – “Advanced” – remove “Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop” function.

@Frank13 Hello! By updating this in the options, it looks like it is changing for me, but not too sure if changing for other users unless they do the same thing. Is there a way to tie this to the workbook or is it already tied to the workbook? Thanks!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Frank13 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I have just solved the problem myself. To lock the cells so they cannot be moved after protection activated but can still input data into the cell then do the following

“Review” – “Check accessibility” – “Options accessibility” – “Advanced” – remove “Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop” function.

View solution in original post