SOLVED

How to limit the values that can be input into a cell

Copper Contributor

Hello. I'm trying to make a workbook that will be used as a communication log. 

The log will have an entry in each row. Each entry will have information like the creator's name, the date, the subject, and the comment. 

I want to have a limited number of subjects that can be discussed in the log, so for example, people can make an entry about broad subjects like "Scedules" or "Prorates" or "New Procedures", etc. I don't want people to be making entries with subjects that are too specific. That way, subjects can be easily filtered so people can see the information that is most relevant to them.

I know that there is a way to make cells that only allow certain inputs if they appear in a data range. If the data put into the cell is found in the range, then it is allowed, otherwise, it will say something like "Error. The data is not found in the range". 

How do you do that?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by M_Davis (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @M_Davis,

Perhaps you're looking to do Data Validation. In the Data Tab, under Data Tools, select Data Validation. If you would like to restrict the subjects to a specific list of your choosing, under Allow choose List. You can reference a list in your workbook or simply type in your list using "," comma separators.

@PReagan Yes. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by M_Davis (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @M_Davis,

Perhaps you're looking to do Data Validation. In the Data Tab, under Data Tools, select Data Validation. If you would like to restrict the subjects to a specific list of your choosing, under Allow choose List. You can reference a list in your workbook or simply type in your list using "," comma separators.

View solution in original post