How to know if a cell contains a value from the given list

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I would like to get a true or false value on column B if column C contains any value on the list of column E. 

meldons06_1-1594005884202.png

Can someone help me with the formula. This has been my frustration since yesterday and i wanna try my luck here. Hope somebody could help. Thanks in advance. 

10 Replies

@meldons06 , in cell B2 try this formula:

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH(E2,C2))

Hi, i tried but did not get what I needed. but i appreciate the help, thank you.

@meldons06 , can you upload a sample file with the data without any confidential info?

Hi @TheAntony
Here's a sample excel file. Columns C and D are the sample data while Columns F-G and I-K are the outcomes i would like to have.

On columns F-G, cells on column F will highlight if it has a value from the list on column G

While on outcome 2, Column I will get "TRUE" if column J has a value from the list on column K

Thanks for helping! 

@meldons06 , For Outcome1, I used conditional formatting to get the green highlights using this formula:

=SUM(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(F4,SEARCH("-",F4)+1,SEARCH("-",F4,SEARCH("-",F4)+1)-SEARCH("-",F4)-1),$G$4:$G$34))*1)=1

For Outcome 2, it's the same formula but with referencing J and K instead of F and G:

=SUM(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(J4,SEARCH("-",J4)+1,SEARCH("-",J4,SEARCH("-",J4)+1)-SEARCH("-",J4)-1),$K$4:$K$34))*1)=1

Let me know if this works.

Correct the highlighted errors and try again. There was an error while attempting to post your message. Try again in a few minutes.

Hi @TheAntony I truly appreciate your help. However, the formula you gave only applies to the sample file I did but not to the file i'm working on (after adjusting formula cells accordingly)

Here's a replica of what i am working on. The values on data 2 may be found anywhere in the text on column B (may be on the first, mid, or last)

meldons06_0-1594014357126.png

Sorry if it's too complicated, thanks in advance!

@meldons06 

As variant

image.png

that could be

=(SUM(COUNTIF(O4,"*"&$P$4:$P$12&"*"))-COUNTBLANK($P$5:$P$12))>0

Much appreciated, Thank you for all the help guys. @TheAntony @Sergei Baklan