How to have 3 cells in one box under one column

Copper Contributor

I would like to create an inventory list, and in this list I want 3 boxes (cells) inside of one cell block. I'm not sure if I can explain this without being able to show it but I will try. What I want is to have say row 5 column 2 block have 3 cells inside of that one box. Is there a way to do this? Every time I try to look it up I only find instructions on how to merge cells, however merging cells is the opposite of what I want to do. 

1 Reply

@khydock190 

I would like to create an inventory list,

Let's stop right there, for a moment. Presumably you're going to want to create this "list" as a database that you will be using to track things, update based on materials coming in, going out, etc.

Excel does very well handling such things, but designing a database so that it works well as a database does require meeting certain standards. One of the most basic of those requirements is that each row describes an entity (in your case an item in the inventory) at the most useful "granular level." What you don't want to do is have a row that combines entities, even if much of the time they are (let's say) purchased together. If they're ALWAYS purchased together, ALWAYS function as a unit, that's fine, but in that case, their identity becomes that of an entity, and you "re-label" them as one, incorporating the three into a new label, a new SINGLE entity.

To take a simple example, let's assume you're creating an inventory of Apple products, and those three components are 

• iPhone
  • iPhone case
  • ear buds

You could list all three in a single cell or simple have the cell contain

• Basic iPhone Kit  

Now, if we're designing a relational database, where there are other tables of data, there could well be another table someplace that lists the three component parts that make up the Basic iPhone Kit, with a code that identifies the combination and the sub-components to that combination.

It might well be that in your main database you'd also carry the individual items as inventory items of their own, but don't make a single row serve double purposes; have three rows, one for each component, as well as the row that tracks your inventory of the Kit. It would be a violation of fundamental design to make a single row do double duty. Even if you might be able to make it work for a while, it would be sure to lead to disaster in the longer run.

Bottom line: I don't think what you're wishing you could do is possible. But my point in all that I've written is that it's not a good idea anyway; you shouldn't be looking to do it in the first place. I hope that my explanation makes sense.