SOLVED

How to get total hours worked when people are not the same on each worksheet

Copper Contributor

I am trying to figure the total hours that volunteers worked but some work both weeks and some don't. I have a sample workbook but can't figure out how to upload it. I am using Office 365.

This is sample worksheet 1

OnTheRoad411370_0-1656181521113.png

And this is sample worksheet 2

OnTheRoad411370_1-1656181681027.png

How can I get a formula to get the cumulative hours for all 6 volunteers? In my real workbook I have about 50 different volunteers and each worksheet is for a school year ((e.g.: 2017-2018, 2018-2019, etc) and obviously different people are on the different years but some overlap, that is Mary might work 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 but Joe only worked 2018-2019.

I hope my question makes sense. I really don't want to hand calculate the cumulative hours for each of the 50!

13 Replies

@Sergei BaklanThank you for helping but I still don't understand how I can get the cumulative hours for people who aren't on the same line on the two worksheets without going through and doing a XLOOKUP one at a time for each person. In my practice sample, Amy is on line 2 in Week 1 Hrs worksheet and line 3 on Week 2 Hrs worksheet. How can I XLOOKUP without going one by one to each worksheet and referencing the name?

@OnTheRoad411370 

Let me clarify, would you like to have in each next worksheet cumulative time for all previous worksheets plus current one; or you'd like to calculate in separate worksheet cumulative time for all people involved and all periods.

If the latest technique could be as Excel formula: 3D SUMIF for multiple worksheets | Exceljet

@Sergei BaklanThank you again for taking the time to help me. I did not word my request well, yes, I would like all the cumulative hours for all the volunteers on one separate worksheet. I looked at the reference you gave me but I think I am too much of a beginner to understand how to do it. I have been using Excel for a while and taking the Coursera course from Macquarie U in Sydney, but not really up to speed on XLOOKUP or your reference.

@OnTheRoad411370 

I see, thank you.  When another question - do you have list of all the volunteers for all periods, or the shall be collected from all worksheets? If you have a list that will be easier.

About uploading your work sheet I would do it like this. Click reply. Under the text box click open full text editor were you should then see files to attach.

@OnTheRoad411370 

If what @Norman_Glenn  suggested doesn't work you may share it on OneDrive or DropBox or like; or to send direct message here (menu is under your avatar at top right).

@Sergei BaklanThis is what I am using, minus last names for privacy.

Thank you, I'm new here and did not know that!
best response confirmed by OnTheRoad411370 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@OnTheRoad411370 

We need to add some to the data organization.

1) Named list of sheets which will be summed is added here

image.png

It could be at any place of your workbook. If you expand the list don't forget to update the rage in Name Manager

image.png

2) Since Total is in different column in different sheets I duplicated it in column AA for each sheet:

image.png

3) With that in Cumulative sheet we may use formula to sum sheets. 

image.png

In C3 is

=SUMPRODUCT( SUMIF( INDIRECT("'" & sheets & "'!" & "A3:A40"), A3, INDIRECT( "'" & sheets & "'!" & "AA3:AA40") ))

and drag it down. I used formula exactly as in https://exceljet.net/formula/3d-sumif-for-multiple-worksheets, you may check this post for the explanation how it works.

Thank you so much for taking all the time to help me! Because I have probably bitten off more than I can chew, I will have to take some time to understand the formulas you provided. Thank you SO much!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by OnTheRoad411370 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@OnTheRoad411370 

We need to add some to the data organization.

1) Named list of sheets which will be summed is added here

image.png

It could be at any place of your workbook. If you expand the list don't forget to update the rage in Name Manager

image.png

2) Since Total is in different column in different sheets I duplicated it in column AA for each sheet:

image.png

3) With that in Cumulative sheet we may use formula to sum sheets. 

image.png

In C3 is

=SUMPRODUCT( SUMIF( INDIRECT("'" & sheets & "'!" & "A3:A40"), A3, INDIRECT( "'" & sheets & "'!" & "AA3:AA40") ))

and drag it down. I used formula exactly as in https://exceljet.net/formula/3d-sumif-for-multiple-worksheets, you may check this post for the explanation how it works.

View solution in original post