SOLVED

How to get chart showing DateTime values for data points on the horizontal axis

Copper Contributor

Please see the attached Excel workbook. The data are Fitbit steps for dates/times for 3 competitors. I want to make a chart for these data. If I select all the data, I get the chart with one vertical line (the chart on the right). That is not what I am looking for. If I try just selecting the columns of data for the three competitors, I can get the line chart with dots that I want, but the horizontal axis is just sequential numbers rather than the Date/Time values in column A. How can I get the line chart with dots AND get the Date/Time values on the horizontal axis that are associated with the respective data points?

Thanks,

Don

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Snoopdon (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Snoopdon 

Change the chart type from Line to XY-Scatter with lines and markers.

Chart.png

To make the chart more readable I set the text direction for the x-axis labels to rotated 90 by degrees, and I decreased the height of the plot area to separate those labels from the legend.

See the attached version.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Snoopdon (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Snoopdon 

Change the chart type from Line to XY-Scatter with lines and markers.

Chart.png

To make the chart more readable I set the text direction for the x-axis labels to rotated 90 by degrees, and I decreased the height of the plot area to separate those labels from the legend.

See the attached version.

View solution in original post