How to count the number of blank cells in a column?

Brass Contributor

I would like to count the number of blank cells in a column.

I am trying to do this via:

Set ws = Worksheets("Sheet1")

Set col = ws.Columns(1)

Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(col)

This returns 888 for every column I have tried it on, whether or not there is lots of text-filled cells in the column or very few.

I think the issue might be that it is counting cells with empty strings in them as being non-empty.

Is there a count function which would consider a cell with an empty string in it as empty?

Thank you

6 Replies

@jukhamil 

Do you really want to count the number of blank cells in an entire column? That will probably be very high.

You could try

Application.WorksheetFunction.CountBlank(col)

or

Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(col, "")

Thanks. Actually I did misspeak there. I would like to count the number of non-empty cells, not the number of empty or blank ones. What I actually would like to do is figure out which columns are completely empty and delete them. I found some examples online suggesting I use if CountA = 0.

If you know a way to count cells that do not have empty strings in them or another way to achieve the above I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks very much.

@jukhamil 

Perhaps this helps:

=(ROWS(column_range)-COUNTBLANK(column_range))=0

@jukhamil 

Try

Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(col, "> ")
Thanks. I can't find the official documentation for the "< " expression. Would it be possible for you to link to it? Thanks very much.

@jukhamil 

> is the "greater than" comparison operator.

The condition "> " means "greater than a space". Non-blank entries will be greater than a space alphanumerically.