How to copy a file and rename based column contents

Copper Contributor

I have on C drive a file thats called BlankImage.jpg. 

Inside of excel in column A contains a list of parts, is there an automated way that the BlankImage file can be copied and renamed based on the contents of each cell.  

Column A 

8 Replies

@PatMyer 

It's possible using the Copy command in a Windows command prompt.

Attached is a workbook with the syntax ready to go.

@Patrick2788 

Thank you Patrick.  I will review and give it a try.  

@Patrick2788 

It is not finding the file folder set up on desktop. Is it because we use OneDrive? I created a folder on my desktop to do a practice run named "Test" and copied the address to cell D1 as the example excel sheet indicated.

When I pasted to Command Prompt
U:\>cd C:\Users\pat.myer\OneDrive - A-dec Inc\Desktop\Test

U:\>copy No Image.jpg 001.013.01.jpg
The system cannot find the file specified.

U:\>copy No Image.jpg 001.015.00.jpg

@PatMyer 

I believe it's the spaces in the file name. You'd have to adjust the syntax to be:
copy "Document Test.txt" 001.txt

@Patrick2788 Patrick, not sure what you are meaning by: "I believe it's the spaces in the file name. You'd have to adjust the syntax to be:
copy "Document Test.txt" 001.txt" 

I am pretty new at this stuff and trying to "expand" my knowledge of how to sort and filter different types of data.  I attached my updated excel workbook that I used to try run the Windows Command to copy a No-Image jpg to a list part numbers ("No  Image,jpg" to "001.001.00.jpg", "No Image.jpg" to "001.002.00.jpg, "No  Image,jpg" to "001.003.00.jpg"....) but it failed.  

@PatMyer 

Please see attached workbook.

@Patrick2788 

Still not working.  I understand the concept to create a large number of new images by copying an existing image ("No Image.jpg") and renaming it to an actual Item number for a large qty of items (there are about 1,500 we want to assign the No Image.jpg but with the item # as the name) but just does not seem to work.  I put quotes around the image being copied with no luck: 

U:\>cd C:\Users\pat.myer\OneDrive - A-dec Inc\Desktop\Test

U:\>copy "No Image.jpg" 001.013.01.jpg

Is this Excel to Windows Command process not going to work for my requirements? 

You could try using the local path on C to the files instead of the OneDrive path. Presumably, the files are on your desktop in the example you posted which synchronizes to OneDrive. There's also a local path:
cd C:\Users\pat.myer\Desktop\Test