How to check if a cell matches another, and if it matches, to match another, and return the column.

Copper Contributor

Rather lengthy title, but i'll break it down.

Workbook A contains 2 sheets. Sheet 1 contains 2 columns in C and D. Column C has names of headers while column D has the abbreviation form of the header. In sheet 2, it contains all the data formatted in columns with headers in a non abbreviated format as represented in column C.

In workbook B, it contains 1 sheet with headers but no data. All headers in workbook B are using the Column D abbreviation format.

Example of what I mean: C1 = Unique Identifier | D1 = UID

What I intend to achieve is to have a formula that:

In an empty cell below the header in workbook B, to search for the header if it is found in any of the cells under Column D of workbook A, sheet 1. If a match is found, to then match the cell in Col C to that of the headers in Sheet 2 of workbook A, and then extract out all the rows under that column into the empty cell mentioned.

Any help is appreciated.

This is what I have so far:

=INDEX('[DQA DataSource.xlsx]Data'!$A$3:$KB$2011,ROW()-2,MATCH(INDEX([DQADataSource.xlsx]Directory!$C4:$C60,MATCH(A$2,[DQADataSource.xlsx]Directory!$D4:$D60,0)),[DQADataSource.xlsx]Data!$1:$1,0))

This current formula returns an N/A error that im unable to get fixed.

1 Reply

@millennnn Try by making both references to "Directory" columns C and D absolute for both the column AND row part:

$C$4:$C$60

$D$4:$D$60