how to change the custom list from a b c d etc to eg. invoice numbers.

Copper Contributor

I used to have in the customs list date, rego, invoice etc but its gone and only the letters abcd etc show.  I have tried to fix problem but to no avail.    help if you can please

1 Reply

@ann312_169hotmailcom 

It seems like you want to customize the list of AutoFill options that appear when you start typing in Excel 365. To do this, you can modify or recreate your custom list. Here is how:

1. Open Excel and a new or existing worksheet where you want to use the custom list.
  2. Click on "File" in the top left corner to open the Backstage view.
  3. Click "Options" at the bottom of the left sidebar. This will open the Excel Options window.
  4. In the Excel Options window, select "Advanced" in the left sidebar.
  5. Scroll down until you find the "General" section.
  6. In the "Edit Custom Lists" section, click the "Edit Custom Lists" button. This will open the Custom Lists dialog box.
  7. In the Custom Lists dialog box, select the custom list that you want to modify. If it's not there, you can create a new one.
  8. Modify or recreate the list to include the entries you want. For example, you can add "Invoice" and any other entries you need.
  9. Click "Add" after each entry to include it in the custom list. You can also use the "Import List from Cells" button to import a list from a range of cells in your worksheet.
  10. Once you have created or modified your custom list, click "OK" to close the Custom Lists dialog box.
  11. Click "OK" again to close the Excel Options window.

Now, when you type "Invoice" (or any other custom list entry) into a cell and drag the fill handle (the small square in the lower-right corner of the selected cell) down or across, Excel will recognize it as part of your custom list and continue the sequence accordingly.

Remember to ensure that you have your custom list selected in the Custom Lists dialog box to apply it as you type. This should help you replace the letters (a, b, c, d, etc.) with your desired custom list entries like "Invoice" in Excel 365. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark them as helpful and like it!

This will help all forum participants.