HOW TO CHANGE A NUMBER 787-543-1251 TO A NUMBER 7875431251 THROUGH FIND&SELECT AND THEN REPLACE

Copper Contributor

I need to learn how to change a telephone number that is formated 787-543-1251 to be formated 7875431251 in the excel program using Find&Select and then Replace.

7 Replies

@MIGUEL1969 

In excel there are different options for different users. Here is a quick example of how to do it.

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")

If you find this helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer" and as Like (click thumbs up), it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@MIGUEL1969 

It depends. If you already have numbers formatted as phone numbers, when change format

image.png

If that's the text, Ctrl+H and Replace All dashes on nothing

image.png

Different solutions for different notes :) ... that's Excel

Nicolino
Different solutions for different needs :) ... that's Excel

Oh my I am really rusty at Excel!!! Just spent 15 minutes coming up with a solution to this problem only to read the answers and discovering a simple find and replace would have done it! I should have known that! 

here is my over complicated solution... :(

Hi there is probably an easier way to do it than this but this is what I have come up with:
I do it in two steps:
if your number is in A1, then put this into B1 (=LEFT(A1,7)) and this into C1 (=LEFT(A1,3)&RIGHT(B1,3)&RIGHT(A1,4))
B1 will display your number in the correct format. Hope this helps.

the task was not what you had in mind ... but if your problem has a solution,
I am happy for you and wish you a pleasant day.

Nicolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)
With "what you had in mind" I meant the task. not that I will be misunderstood.

Enjoy the Day :)