SOLVED

How to anchor Pivot Table Fields in Excel 365, Windows 10

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I accidentally detached the Pivot Table Fields item from the right side of the Excel screen. Now it's floating and disappears every time the cursor is not set within the pivot table.

How can I fix this and re-anchor the Pivot Table Fields back to the right side of the screen?

carinae31585_0-1631872905184.png

Thanks!

11 Replies

@carinae31585 Just drag it to the right-hand side of the screen and it should "attach" itself again.

Hi Riny,
I already tried that, just as double-clicking, exploring various menus - no success :(

@carinae31585 Strange. Works on my set-up. But, just to be sure. Drag it all the way to the right, as if you want to drag it off the screen. It snaps back into place as soon as the cross-hair touches the edge of the window. For me at least.

Hi Riny,
When I drag it - it actually doesn't only go all the way to the right. I can even drag it out of Excel, please look at the screen. Any other ideas? :)
Ok, it seems I can't attach another screenshot. But I'm able to drag it e.g. over the G Chrome window, out of Excel...
best response confirmed by carinae31585 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@carinae31585 Never tried to drag it off the Excel window, but that is apparently possible when you drag quickly. I've learned something. But when I drag slowly and hold it with the cross-hair over the edge of the Excel window, it snaps back. If not for you, I've run out of ideas.

You were right, when doing slowly it finally worked - thank you so much! :)
I figured out if you just double-click around the header, it'll automatically reattach on the right hand side.

@salexjohnson 

Hi,

Thanks for your replies and trying to help. Unfortunately, this happened to me again and now none of the options is working. The pivot table window keeps floating on top, I can still drag it out of the Excel window, and even moving it very slowly doesn't help :(

@carinae31585 

Is that with any pane (e.g. Help, whatever) and on any file or only for that specific one?

Not sure about other panes, but once the pivot field got detached - it stays detached in all files I use.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by carinae31585 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@carinae31585 Never tried to drag it off the Excel window, but that is apparently possible when you drag quickly. I've learned something. But when I drag slowly and hold it with the cross-hair over the edge of the Excel window, it snaps back. If not for you, I've run out of ideas.

View solution in original post