How to allow user to add/modify shapes to protected worksheets

Copper Contributor

I'm developing an interactive grid for users to draw various designs, but protect the sheets so they can't accidentally change the sheet arrangement or code ranges, however I would like to allow them to be able to add shapes & arrows & move them around & change the sizes. However, I do have buttons on the sheet that I DON'T want them to modify, but when I allow "edit objects" in the protection settings, it also allows them to edit the buttons, which may cause issues if they accidentally delete them. Is there code to allow SOME objects to be editable but not ALL? Thanks!

2 Replies

@Cyndie_Birdsong 

The following might work as a workaround: 

Insert drawing element rectangle

Click on the rectangle, click the following in the context menu:

Format Author Shape - Colors and Lines - Fill Color - Fill Effects - Graphics.

Then you could insert your graphic file into the rectangle as a background image.

is a bit more complicated, but you can also use the Edit objects option when the sheet is protected.

Is just a thought :)

Hope I was able to help you with this info.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

thanks for the suggestion but once I protect the sheets, the insert shapes icon is dimmed out so the user can't add anything.